WHY YOU SHOULD GET YOUR CHIMNEY SWEPT IN THE SPRING
There are a few reasons why spring is the best time to have your chimney inspected and swept. For starters, you are not actively using your chimney so that makes it convenient for you as a homeowner.
- It is better not to procrastinate when it comes to your chimney. Cracked flue liners, missing mortar, billowing smoke, creosote buildup, cracked concrete crowns, and missing chimney caps are all things our CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps look for during a chimney inspection. You need to allow time to get on our schedule to have these repairs completed by fall.
- Just like you enjoy the warmth of your fire, so do those little critters. They like to build nests in the comfort of your chimney. These nests may cause blockage and restrict the air flow and can even lead to a chimney fire. If you have this problem, we recommend adding a chimney cap that has mesh sides to protect your chimney from animal intrusion.
- Once the weather warms up, you may smell that stinky creosote that has built up in your chimney over the winter. This smell is very distinct. During a chimney sweep, this creosote is removed from the chimney and from your home.
- To keep the integrity of your chimney, you will want to have your repairs scheduled when the weather is still warm enough for your masonry work to cure correctly. Your roof can become a very slippery surface also, once the snow starts to fly, so plan ahead.
- Fall is the busiest season for our chimney sweeps. Once that first cold snap hits, it reminds homeowners that winter is coming. You may end up waiting a few weeks for your chimney inspection and sweep. If you need repairs made before you can burn your fire, you may not have allowed enough time for this to happen and will have to wait until the weather warms up in the spring.
For these reasons, we strongly encourage our chimney sweep customers to schedule an annual inspection and sweep every spring.
Our CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps are trained and must take continued education to stay up to date so they can adhere to the highest standards of service. With the CSIA Chimney Sweep training, our sweeps are knowledgeable and are bound by a code of ethics.
Call Lakeview and we’ll have one of our CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps take care of you and your chimney.